Senior Support Centre
TIP: Having trouble viewing this page?
Adjust the font size by holding down the control button on your keyboard and the ‘+’ to increase or ‘- ‘to decrease or by following these steps:
Step 1: With your browser, select ‘View’ or ‘Settings’ menu option.
Step 2: Choose “Zoom” and “Zoom In” from the file menu and the screen will zoom in by one increment. Repeat until the appropriate zoom percentage is displayed.
Step 3: Select the “View,” “Zoom,” and “Zoom Out” menu options to reverse the Zoom In tasks completed.
Supporting seniors’ banking needs, and those who love and care for them, is fundamental to building stronger communities. This is why Alterna offers easy ways to manage your money and ensures equitable access to all our members no matter how they choose to bank with us.
Here are some resources to help you bank with confidence:
Support Person: For individuals needing a support person when calling our Contact Centre or visiting a branch, Alterna will:
- Permit the support person on premises/on the phone
- Allow support person, if requested by the member, to attend meetings
- Request permission from member to discuss confidential account information with support person present
- Ensure the member and support person understands that the support person is there to accompany the member and therefore cannot direct or act for the member
How to print your Account Statement: Your monthly Electronic Statement (eStatement) is available in Online Banking for printing and viewing:
- Log in to Online Banking
- Select the “View eStatements” link, found in the left-hand menu on the My Accounts screen.
- Once the eStatements page opens, choose the eStatement you wish to view from the list available.
- You will then be able to view or print your eStatement, including cheque images.
TIP: eStatements are more secure, reliable and better for the environment.
Braille Statements: Can be requested through our Contact Centre by calling 1.877.560.0100 or if you opened your account in a branch, directly there.
Read more about our accessibility standards.
Here are some resources that will help ensure your financial plan continues to meet your future needs:
- Direct Investing: With Qtrade® Investor, make decisions with confidence and achieve your financial goals with tools and resources tailored to your unique situation.
- Power of Attorney (POA) and Joint Deposit Account (JDA): These may be used if you wish to give someone else authority to do banking for you. Keep in mind, there can be both risks and advantages to POAs and JDAs.
- Financial Planning Calculators: We offer calculators that can help you work out the details of your financial plan and assist you in reaching your goals such as:
- Loan Calculator
- Mortgage Calculator
- RRIF Calculator
- TFSA Calculator
- Foreign Exchange Calculator and more.
TIP: The Government of Canada provides programs and services to help you ensure your later years are safe and secure. Visit their website.
Keeping safe when banking online
We are committed to providing you with a safe and secure banking experience that ensures the integrity of your account information. You also have a role to play in staying safe when transacting online.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. There are a variety of methods scammers use to take advantage of their victims. That’s why recognizing and understanding different types of fraud is your responsibility and can keep you and your finances safe.
You can learn more about how Alterna protects you and the role you play in protecting yourself by reviewing our: Security and Privacy section.
TIP: To keep up to date with the most recent scams targeting Canadians, visit the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre website, www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca.
The benefits of online and mobile banking
Start Online Banking
Start Mobile Banking
Once you’ve obtained your temporary password, log in to online banking with 4 easy steps:
- Go to Alterna’s Online Banking page
- Enter in your member number where it says, “Login ID”
- Enter your temporary password where it says, “Password”
- Update your password and proceed to Online Banking
TIP: Create a Strong Password: It’s important to choose a unique word or phrase that you will remember. You should use a combination of both lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers and symbols (such as “!” or “?”). Remember, the more complex the password, the stronger it will be.
First, make sure you’re on the correct website, since Alterna Savings members can’t log in on the Alterna Bank site, or vice-versa. You can either click on the link below, or paste into your address bar.
Alterna Savings https://www.alterna.ca/
Alterna Bank https://www.alternabank.ca
Please note: If your account number or user ID starts with a zero, please enter your ID without the zero and try your login again.
Online Banking will prevent unauthorized viewing of your account information if you are careful to ensure you logout when you’re finished banking. This feature prevents pages from being cached (stored) by your browser and will help ensure clicking a previously viewed page in your Online Banking is not possible. It is always important to fully log out of Online Banking, especially if you are using a public or shared access computer.
For security reasons, your Online Banking password can only be changed through our secure online banking, in the Profile and Preferences section. If you can’t remember your password, call us to have it reset and obtain a temporary password. Then, log in to Online Banking using the temporary password, go to Profile and Preferences, then Change Password to change your password to something you'll easily remember.
Our ‘mobile-friendly’ version of Online Banking is less resource-intensive than our regular site, and is easier to read and use on a mobile screen. The iPhone App has a sleeker appearance and extra features built in, like at-a-glance account balances and accessing secure messages. Both the mobile web and iPhone app will let you perform banking functions, but the iPhone app provides a better user experience, tailored specifically for the iPhone.
Mobile Banking with Alterna is free, whether you use the mobile web or iPhone app. We do not charge for account balance inquiries, bill payments, transfers to, from or between Alterna accounts unless you’ve exceeded what’s included in your banking package. See our Personal Service Fee Listing for details of fees on our other services. However, standard data and messaging rates may apply - check with your mobile device carrier (Fido, Rogers, Bell, Telus, Virgin, etc.) for service fees related to your plan.
Your security is top priority, which is why our Mobile Banking uses the same level of secure protection as our full Online Banking. You log in with the same credentials, and once you log out, your secure session will end.
Further questions? Click here to review more Online Banking and Mobile Banking FAQs.
Here is a list of forms that may assist you when doing your day-to-day banking transactions:
- Direct Deposit/Pre-Authorized Debit Form
- External Account Transfer Authorization Form
- Cheque Order Form
- Joint Account Authorization Form
Please note: to access these forms, you must first log in to your online banking.
Chequing Account Banking Packages
Perfect for a low volume, consistent user.
- Monthly day-to-day transactions: 20
- Monthly fee: $4
- Senior Discount 59+: $0
- Monthly fee waived with $1,000 minimum balance: Yes
Ideal for a moderate number of monthly transactions.
- Monthly day-to-day transactions: 35
- Monthly fee: $10
- Senior Discount 59+: $5
Great for active account users.
- Monthly day-to-day transactions: Unlimited
- Monthly fee: $14
- Senior Discount 59+: $7
Pay as you go
Ideal for low or occasional users.
- Monthly day-to-day transactions: Pay per use
- Monthly fee: $0
Note: Alterna Savings members who previously opened an account in branch should refer to the Personal Service Fee Listing for available banking package discounts for persons who have reached the age of 59 or above. Members on the Seniors GoodLife Account Package can find more details here.
TIP: Need to find a surcharge-free ATM? Visit our ATM Finder.
Seniors Code Annual Report
Alterna is committed to supporting seniors with their banking needs. We at Alterna have put in place all of the requirements needed to meet the Code of Conduct for the Delivery of Banking Services to Seniors (“the Code”), which guides Canadian banks in their delivery of banking products and services to Canada’s seniors.
Alterna has strengthened our policies and procedures to help employees identify incidents of suspected financial fraud, financial abuse and scams, and indicators that a customer may be suffering from diminished capacity. We have also provided details on how to escalate any concerns in this regard. We have updated our branch closure policy to consider market demographics when proceeding with branch closures, including the needs of seniors.
A Seniors Champion was selected to lead the implementation of the Code; build awareness with Alterna employees of matters affecting seniors; and engage with seniors, organizations representing seniors and subject matter expert.
“Supporting seniors’ banking needs, and those who love and care for them, is fundamental to building stronger communities. This is why Alterna offers easy ways for seniors to manage their money and ensures equitable access to all our customers no matter how they choose to bank with us.”
Frugina Ball, Seniors Champion and Region Head, Member Experience, GTA
We’ve made updates on our public website and to our internal information resources to increase visibility and education around banking for seniors. These include:
- The development of the Senior Support Centre which is a new online resource page to provide wide-ranging resources and support for seniors and their support persons. The resources include self-serve banking, banking package discounts, online fraud protection, financial planning, information on powers of attorney and joint accounts, accessibility options and helpful forms.
- Internal resources for employees to create greater awareness about the tools, training and resources available to help them assist and protect seniors including consolidating of this information for ease of reference; and
- The creation of a new annual mandatory training module on the Code for all employees covering powers of attorney, joint deposit accounts, supporting seniors with diminished capacity, financial abuse, fraud, scams, financial harm identification, escalation processes, and the available resources for senior customers and employees.
|Contact Centre||Contact Centre hours|
|Monday to Friday|
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (EST)
|Saturday and Sunday|
9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (EST)
Lost or stolen Debit Card
|Collabria Credit Card Cardholder Services|
Your financial well-being comes first
Welcome to a better way to bank. Our knowledgeable team puts your financial well-being first with good, caring and transparent advice while offering all the products and services you need.